Union Cabinet recently approved a framework for the proliferation of public Wi-Fi networks through PM Wi-Fi Access Network Interface or PM WANI scheme (Pradhan Mantri Wi-Fi Access Network Interface Yojna).
What is PM WANI?
It is an initiative aims to elevate wireless internet connectivity in the country. Public Data Office (PDO); Public Data Office Aggregator (PDOA); App Provider; Central Registry will operate PM-WANI eco-system. The public network will be set up by the PDOAs to provide Wi-Fi service through the PDOs spread throughout the country.
A PDOA will buy bulk bandwidth from licenced telcos/ISPs, and re-sells them to multiple PDOs to ensure the latter can offer Wi-Fi connectivity to customers.
This nationwide network of public Wi-Fi hotspots, termed PDOs after the public call office (PCO) concept rolled out by the Indian government to set up a nationwide network of landline public payphones. The government will develop an app to register users and discover the WANI-compliant Wi-Fi hotspots in the nearby area and display them for accessing internet service. The App Provider will also be able to verify a customer’s credit card details if payment for WiFi service is done electronically instead of cash. The App provider works closely with the PDOA.
Central Registry will maintain the details of App Providers, PDOAs, and PDOs. To begin with, the Central Registry will be maintained by Centre for Development of Telematics (CDOT).
PDOA shall make necessary provisions for storage of user data for one year to ensure compliance with legal provisions, as required. o The user data privacy will be ensured by App Providers and PDOAs. Complete user data and usage logs will be stored within India.
How to Access Services of PM WANI?
There shall be no license fee for providing Broadband Internet through these public Wi-Fi networks. A customer wanting to access the network from a PDO’s premise can do so only after an eKYC authentication.
What is Wi-Fi?
Wi-Fi is a wireless networking technology that allows devices such as computers (laptops and desktops), mobile devices (smart phones and wearables), and other equipment (printers and video cameras) to interface with the Internet. It is commonly called a wireless LAN (local area network).
• It allows these devices–and many more–to exchange information with one another, creating a network.
• The wireless network is operating three essential elements that are radio signals, antenna, and router. The radio waves are keys that make Wi-Fi networking possible.
• Mobile data works essentially the same way as Wi-Fi. The biggest difference is that the signal comes through your mobile service provider rather than ISP (Internet service provider).
• Also, both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are used for providing wireless communication through radio signals.
Defference Between WIFI & Bluetooth
- However, Bluetooth is actually accustomed to connect short-range devices for sharing information whereas Wifi is used for providing high-speed web access or internet.
- The range of Bluetooth is about 10 metres in comparison to wi-fi’s hundred metres.
- Bluetooth limits the number of devices that can connect at any one time, whereas Wi-Fi is open to more devices and more users.
- In addition, Bluetooth, because it requires only an adapter on each connecting device, tends to be simpler to use and needs less power than Wi-Fi