Former Union minister Arun Jaitley, and senior leader of Bhartiya Janata party (BJP) died at AIIMS on Saturday at 66 as announced by the hospital. He rested in peace after battling multiple ailments .
Here’s a Political Timeline of Arun Jaitey that may help you know about him even better :
- He studied at St.Xaviers School, Delhi and completed his law degree from University of Delhi . He was the leader of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) there.
- In 1974 he was elected president of the student union at the university. He participated in demonstrations against the imposition of the state of emergency in 1975 by Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, was arrested, and was held in detention for 19 months.
- He practiced law in Supreme court and several high courts since 1977.
- He joined the BJP after its formation in 1980 and became the national executive of BJP in 1991.
- In 1990, he became additional solicitor general of India : entrusted with Bofors case.
- In 1998 , he became the member of Indian delegation to UN General assembly.
- He was appointed as Minister of State for I&B (Independent charge) in Vajpayee led NDA government.
- In 2000, made a minister of law, justice and company’s affair and a Rajya Sabha MP (re-elected in 2006 and 2012)
- In 2009, he stopped practicing Law and become a leader of opposition in Rajya Sabha.
- In 2014, he was made the finance minister and took charge of Corporate affairs and defence in Modi govt.
When Arun Jaitley was the Finance Minister, Modi Government was able to take some crucial economic initiatives like demonetisation and implementation of the Goods and Service tax (GST).
The contribution of Arun Jaitey to the government is immense and cannot be forgotten.